May 27, 2013

Top 3 Drugstore Foundations for Dry Skin

This time last year, I was a proud supporter of tinted moisturizers and BB creams. I tended to shy away from foundations because my first encounter  with them, more than 5 years ago ended in an inexperienced, dry, cakey, overly-done up mess I had no intention of repeating. I made many mistakes here, from the product I chose to the application I attempted. When I started to get more into make up and was ready to dip my toe into the pool of available foundations, I didn't want to make the same mistakes again. I did a lot of research, made a choice based on my skin type and tone, and I tried almost every brush I owed. Now, a year later, I come to you all with the fruits of my labour.



In terms of organization, these are going to be in order of coverage, from the lightest to the heaviest amount. I like all three about the same but I do tend to use one more than the others, and I'll let you know which one at the end! Now, on to the top three.

Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation

This is a gel based, light coverage foundation with skin brightening properties. The texture of the product is very thin and this helps to give you a very natural looking finish. It's almost comparable to a high coverage tinted moisturizer. 


The first and most obvious benefit is also a drawback, depending on your skin tone. Being of the super pale variety, this is the first foundation I've tried whose lightest shade (51 Vanille Clair) option actually matches my face without requiring a powder foundation for blending. For someone with a darker skin tone, this might make it hard to find one that matches. This product is marketed as a serum foundation (as opposed to their new Healthy Mix Foundation which doesn't have lasting skin effects) which means that it promises to make your skin more radiant after just 4 weeks of use. I suppose it might, though how one measures percentage change in skin radiance is outside my current skill set so I'll just say that although I have noticed my skin seeming more radiant, it is just as likely that I've fallen victim to good marketing. Whatever the case may be, it does hydrate my skin and keep a dewy finish, which is a must for me.  The lasting power is quite good as well,  I can confirm up to 10 hours when worn with a translucent powder however I have yet to wear it for the 16 hours it claims to last. I don't really know who would wear a light coverage foundation for 16 hours, but I suppose it's a matter of opinion. I have heard complaints about the lack of SPF but I like wearing this foundation when photos are going to be taken and would prefer not to have that SPF ghost face. If choose to wear this in the day time, I'll apply a moisturizer with SPF underneath. Problem solved!
All in all, this is a beautiful foundation and the one I've been reaching for most this month.
Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation
This foundation also promises a skin brightening glow finish but has a more foundation-y feel. The texture is a bit thicker and less runny than the Bourjois. It also doesn't have any long-term benefits. The coverage is light but can be built up to a nice medium without losing the natural-looking finish. This brand also has a small option for shades, with only 6 to choose from, and the lightest is a bit too dark for my skin tone. 
It's a great foundation for the summertime when I have a bit of a tan and even more so because it contains SPF 15. If you look closely at the bottle, you'll see a very fine glitter but when applying it to the skin, the shimmer does not show up more than to make your face look dewy-no glitter ball effects here! As with the Bourjois foundation, this is made for dry skin and it helps to keep your face moisturized and not looking dry or cakey throughout the day. The lasting power is pretty good, it will last me all day when applied with some translucent powder around my T-zone where I can lose a bit of make up throughout a long day. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for a night out unless you know there will be no photos taken because of that trusty SPF. It also has a really fresh and yummy scent, which helps you to feel awake when you apply it.
Another lovely foundation, this time for a sunny day when you may or may not want a little more coverage.
Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse Foundation

Finally, a slightly higher coverage foundation. The Dream Smooth Mousse is Maybelline's dry skin formulation of the Dream Matte Mousse that oilier skinned individuals rave about. This foundation has a creamy, smooth texture-as the name implies-and can be applied really easily with your fingers. While the finish isn't matte, I wouldn't exactly call it dewy either, it leaves your face looking fresh and moisturized though, so that's a plus.


The coverage is buildable from medium to a pretty high coverage and there is no SPF so this is a perfect foundation for a night out when you want a more flawless look. I also like to wear this foundation when filming because it looks great on camera. It has an upper hand over the other two because the line has 10 colours to choose from that encompass more skin tones. It is meant to hydrate your face for a full 14 hours (I can verify that it stays moisturizing for about 10, I don't generally recommend wearing a foundation for longer than that without re-application) and it has a good lasting power if you powder it a little. What I like best about this product is that it gives a high coverage without being too obvious that you're wearing a high coverage foundation (if that makes sense!) I hate it when I find a foundation that is meant to give my face a flawless look but upon application looks all cakey and obviously fake on my face. Not a particularly flattering look.
This is definitely my go-to foundation for a night out when I want my face to look perfect.

Those were my top 3! I do tend to wear the Bourjois more on a typical day because I love the finish and it's really easy to work with. Also, it matches my skin almost perfectly at the moment. I love the other two equally well, though for different occasions.

What do you all think? Have you tried any of these before? Or, if not, what are your favourites?

xo Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment